I’m heading off to participate in the Mobile Response Unit’s Triple M Mobile Marketing Think Tank tomorrow and I’ve ben asked to come prepared with a couple of thoughts on mobile and social….
So the two things that keep kicking around in my head are
- Apps matter. And in an off-deck or multi deck world, apps with social traction will matter the most. Because the mobile networks are going to gradually lose their control over access to audiences, apps will need to gain users because they are good and because they have some level of ‘socialbility’ or network effect, in other words they get better the more people that use them. We’re seeing this (partially) with the iPhone and it is only going to exacerbate as the Android platform gets its act together, Ovi grows etc etc.
- That the collision of geo-specific nature of mobile that is already informing apps and the huge uptake of social networking (including via the mobile) is going to be a significant factor in the development of both.
I was also asked to comment on;
- What role for advertising; minimal I’d argue
- What role the mobile in customer journey; integral I’d argue
- And future trends; I think it will include APIs as marketing tools, not advert campaigns
C’mon, tel me I’m wrong or add your thouights. Think Tank is 9AM tomorrow at Redwood.